Monday, November 8, 2010

Chili Cook-off

I've been meaning to post these pictures for a little while. We hosted a chili cook-off the day before halloween at a neighborhood playground. The weather was perfect and the location ended up being awesome because the kids played for hours straight and had a blast! I must say, this is the BEST chili cook-off I have ever been too. Let me repeat, THE BEST!!! Not because the party was a blast (because it was very fun), but I've never tasted better chili in my life. And I love chili. Jeff and I were judges (along with 6 others) and it was so hard to pick the top 5 because they all tasted sooooo good. Last year, our friends hosted this party in October and didn't want to host again. So we decided we had such a blast that we would take it over this year. The reigning champion was my friend Maria who happens to be a fabulous cook. She bragged about her "award winning chili" for a year and definitely weeks leading up to the party. I think this made everyone want to bring really yummy chili to beat her! We had so many varieties. There were a few traditional chilies, a few white chickens, a cashew chicken chili (which was delicious), a vegetarian, a sweet chili, some with steak and sausage, and they were all very tasty. I liked 4 of them so much that I had to take a break for a little while and really determine how I would vote. The winner ended up NOT being Maria! She ended up in second place and the first place winner was Kinan who made a delicious chili of so many different flavors that she swears she'll never be able to replicate it!

Anyhow, it was a great activity before halloween. I did not make chili and made several desserts for the kids. I did happen to bring my camera and completely forgot to take any pictures of the party with the exception of the few I took before the party started. I hate that I do that! So needless to say, all I have is a picture of the winner and a pictures of my dessert table. I even delayed this post hoping that people would send me pictures, but no such luck!! My sister-in-law Kelly directed me to this website which gave all kids of GREAT tips for a chili cook-off (with free printables!) So all of the chili looked so cute numbered anonymously with their signs and I have no pictures of it :(

Here is what I gathered:

Picture of the winner!! Kinan is on the right
Yummy desserts that were devoured by little mouths

I did manage to get a picture of sweet Lukey :)

3 comments:

Becky said...

Your dessert table looks awesome!!! Great job - what a lot of work - I can see why you didn't make chili too!

Kelly Tillotson said...

the table looked wonderful! <3
i thought for sure we were having our wards "annual" chili cookoff...but i guess its not an "annual" thing! :/

lopezra said...

What a woonderful Halloween! Nice pic's.